The town of Francesville was platted in 1853 by James Brooks of New Albany, then president of the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago, shortly after the building of the railroad; he named the town in honor of his daughter Frances. Brooks had purchased the plan from William Rees. In the same year, Alonzo Starr built the first house in town. The town was re-platted in 1862 by J. M. H. Allison. Additional insights in to the town’s history can be gleaned here, and here (interspersed amongst facts about the Gutwein family).
Home to more than 800 residents, Francesville has a healthy economy encompassing several successful businesses and shops. Every September, throngs of locals and out-of-towners flock to downtown for the annual Francesville Fall Festival.
100 North Brooks Street
P.O. Box 616
Francesville, Indiana 47946
Cathy Elston, Clerk-Treasurer
Town of Francesville Website
Office hours: Tues.-Fri., 8:00a.m.-12:00p.m., 1:00p.m.-4:00p.m. ET
First Sat. of the month, 8:00a.m.-11:00a.m. ET
Lynn Johns, President
The Francesville Town Council meets in the meeting of the fire station/municipal building on the first and third Mondays of each month at 6:30p.m. ET.